Friday, December 18, 2009

Our new home


As many of you know by now we are moving again...yes again. This is 3 times in 3 years. Some people might think we are crazy but we should be professional packers by the time this move is done. So now you ask where are we moving to. A beautiful little town called Potecasi, NC. When I say little I mean little. We are surrounded by cotton fields, soybean fields and God's AMAZING landscape. Here is a little background on how we are ending up in Potecasi.

A friend of Travis's (David) had his resume because of Red Line Ministries (which is a racing ministry). Travis has helped David out a few times with Red Line and also preached for David a few times. The last time we had the honor to fill in for David we also taught his Sunday School class which blessed a ten times over. (Plus we didn't know how much it would bless us later.) David was contacted by Potecasi Baptist Church looking for Travis's resume. Keep in mind David didn't know anyone at Potecasi and really had no clue how they knew he had a copy of Travis's resume. However, David said I don't think he will mind so he shared it with them. They called us a week later to have Travis come supply preach for them. (that was Oct. 18th, while we were up there we found out that the chairman of the pastor search committee was engaged to a member of David's church. So the connection had been made, however, we didn't know her and she didn't know us we just shared the gospel with her in a Sunday school class and she was so moved and felt like we were a perfect fit for Potecasi that she told her fiance, who in turn contacted David and go Travis's resume....now tell me God is not amazing!) We were asked to have lunch after church with the pastor search committee. After we met them we were asked to come back and do a trial preach and have a fellowship lunch with them. (this was Nov. 15) This gave us and the church time to get to know each other. On Nov. 22 Potecasi Baptist Church voted (with a 100% all in favor) to ask Travis/us to come and be their senior pastor. So it has all happened very quickly but not without a lot of prayer and fighting (at least on my part).

When we started praying and considering Potecasi I began fighting with God. We both felt like this had been put in front of us for a reason but Travis was so much more open to listening to God than I was. From day one I fought God. I stood in the shower (which is my quiet time to pray and talk with God since no one bothers me) and said Lord we can't go Isabella is in a fabulous school and I can't take her out, she is doing so well and their schools won't be a fit for her, I have already checked them out. He laid it out plan and clear for me that I was to home school....WHAT!!!! I swore I would NEVER do that no matter what, but the Lord had something else in mind. So kicking and screaming I started researching homeschooling. And we are on our way to homeschooling. My next battle was our house. I said Lord, we can't go, we have to sell our house first because we can't afford to buy one until we do. (keep in mind I was asking for him to put up walls day in and day out so we wouldn't go.) Literally the next morning the chairman of the committee called and said they had a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2000 square foot parsonage they would like for us to look at when we come up to trial preach that they would like to offer us if we became the pastor. Are you kidding me!!!!! So every time I asked for the wall to be put up he would only take it down more and open the door wider for us. So I finally prayed and said thank you Lord for the opportunity that you are giving us to serve these people if this is where you would have us.

So this is where he wants us. Every door has been opened and our new church family at Potecasi Baptist Church has blessed our hearts so much already I can't even begin to tell you. We look so forward to serving beside these amazing people.

On the flip side it is very hard to leave our church here, which has become home to us. Our girls have been so loved on and have so many "grandparents" there that we could not begin to say thank you enough. My heart aches for our Mt. Hermon church family as we both embark on a new part of our lives. We will always love Mt. Hermon as they are the first church we have served on staff with. They hold a special place in our hearts.

We covet your prayers as we start this new journey in our lives. We also can't wait to tell you what God is doing in our lives and in Potecasi Baptist churches lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment