Monday, July 18, 2011

Seasons

A friend of mine has referred to the changes in life as seasons. And even though I understood it I don't think I came to really appreciate it until recently. The Henderson's season of life is changing once again.

We have been in Potecasi for a year and half now and God has worked mightily in us. He has worked mightily in the church as well. Many barriers that were once there have been broken down and Potecasi is becoming a community church everyday. (they were before but some barriers made some not feel welcome, those have been broken) But in January I felt God starting to call us somewhere else. I felt the pull on my heart. However, Travis was not feeling the pull yet. So I began to pray and pray earnestly about where God would be sending us next and when.  In mid April Travis and I both started feeling the pull more and more. But the final thing was a sweet members funeral. (she had been suffering with cancer for 3 years and lost her battle) Standing at her graveside funeral I got an overwhelming feeling of peace about the pull and uncertainty I had been feeling. I knew that what we had come to do at Potecasi was done in just that moment. But I still didn't know where God would lead us next. We began sending out resumes in late April. One of the resumes we sent out was at the request of a friend of a friend. He called and said, "There is a church that is looking for a pastor who is 30-35 and just finished seminary or is getting ready to finish and I think you should apply." So we did. We didn't hear anything for a bit and began to wonder if we were hearing God right. We were, it just wasn't His time yet, to reveal where we would be going next. His timing is wonderful, marvelous! We were on vacation at the beach (not thinking about any of it or even talking about it) when we got a call from a friend (and also one of our references) letting us know they had just talked to a church about us. So I contacted our other references and sure enough they had been called as well. So we began to pray, pray for this church, their committee, their congregation, for God's will and ourselves that we were following where God would lead us. The next day, we decided to call home and check the answer machine and there was a message from the head of the pastor search committee asking us to call him. My heart began to race.....is this really happening! After a 45 minute conversation we were going to meet at the end of June with the committee and see where it would go. Our meeting was June 17th and instantly these people were wonderful. When we left the meeting the feeling we had was indescribable. We headed back to my parents house and talked it over with my mom and dad, brother and sister-in-law and asked them to pray. Then we talked to Travis's mom and sister and asked them to be praying. On the way home we decided to step out on faith. We really felt God calling us to this church. So we took the leap. And on June 19th with heavy hearts we told our church family at Potecasi we would be resigning and our last Sunday would be July 24th. (keep in mind we had no job and no place to live but we were moving) From this point forward, God was in complete control of everything! The pastor search committee called and requested a second meeting with us. We meet with them June 30th and it was fabulous! Then we had dinner with the head of the committee, his wife, the interim pastor and his wife on Friday night. (what a blessing this dinner was!!!!) We got the call to preach on the night of July 3rd. It was such a blessing to my heart. So on July 31st (after a long week of moving we will go and preach) And the following Sunday, Glenwood Baptist will vote on us for pastor. We feel so blessed that God feels us worthy to be the pastorate family for this church.

I have to share a side note about Glenwood. They have already showered us with love and we are not even the pastor there yet. When my grandfather passed away this past week, they called and wanted to bring food. Oh my goodness, they didn't just bring food they feed everyone that was at my parents house twice. (17 people in all) And one of the sweet ladies from the committee came to the graveside service from my grandfather. I felt so blessed that this church loves us this much already to make a meal for us in such a time of sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment