It started by going to the chiropractor and then heading to a friends house to clean. (I am cleaning houses for some extra money.) On Sunday my friend had given me a key to their house and instructions about their alarm system. I thought oh I got this no biggie but I did make the joke to her it would be my luck that I would set off the alarm and then the cops would show up and here I was to just clean. So as I unlocked her door and went it I heard the alarm beeping waiting to be turned off or go off. I entered the code but could not find the off button........I started sweating! I looked and looked and about the time I found the off button.....it screeched! I was able to turn off the screeching. I waited for the security company to call (since my friend had told me they would if it went off) and waited and waited. They didn't call so I walked out to get my little vac out of the van and heard the phone ring. So I ran in and HUNTED for a phone. I couldn't find one any where and when I finally did the answering machine picked up and the caller (the security company) had hung up. OH NO! A couple of minutes later the phone rang again....I picked up.
Me: Stewart residence
Greg (the homeowner): Whitney are you having a little trouble with the alarm system?
Me: (very shyly) Yeah
Greg: I didn't know you were going to be there this early so I told the alarm company to dispatch an officer.
Me: Oh, oh, okay. I am so sorry
Greg: It is okay. Here are my numbers at work and my cell in case they need to call me and verify you are suppose to be there.
Me: Okay. I am so sorry. Nothing like coming to clean and having the cops show up. (I didn't know what else to say. I was sooooooooo embarrassed.)
A few minutes passed again and Greg called back to see if the cops had showed up yet. In the mean time I had texted his wife and let her know I set off the alarm. But I didn't get an answer so I knew she was really busy. I decided to go ahead with my cleaning while I waited on the police to show up. 10 minutes or so later while I am scrubbing the toilet I hear a loud knock on the glass door. (I left the big door open. Not many burglars leave the main door wide open and have a vacuum and mop sitting out to be used.) So I came around the corner with a wet, dirty sponge in one hand and toilet bowl cleaner in the other and answered the door. Here is how this conversation went......
Me: Hi officer, I am sure you are here because I set off the alarm.
Officer: Yes mam.
Me: I am a friend of the Stewart's and I am cleaning their house today but couldn't get the alarm turned off before it went off. Mr. Stewart said you all would be coming because he didn't know I was going to be here this early but his wife did.
Officer: I figured you were here to clean since the cleaning supplies were out. But I do need to check out the house and make sure everything is in order and get a hold of the home owner.
Me: Yes sir. Thank you.
Officer: No problem. How do you know this family?
Me: I went to high school with the wife and we go to church together.
Officer: Okay. Let me call this in.
Me: If you need to contact Mr. Stewart I have his work and cell number. He said please feel free to call him to verify it is okay for me to be here.
Officer: Well we will actually have to go through the alarm company because you could be working with the home owner. I do believe you but it is protocol.
Me: Yes sir. I understand. (I am standing there sheepishly.)
Officer: Where do you all go to church?
Me: Glenwood Baptist, on Central Ave. Pike
Officer: Okay. Is this your first time cleaning houses?
Me: Yes sir. I wanted to make a little extra money for bills and Christmas.
Officer: I see. Do you work?
Me: No sir. I am a stay at home mom. My husband works.
Officer: Where?
Me: (I knew this was coming!!) As senior pastor at Glenwood Baptist Church. (for all you PW's you can imagine how this felt. Your hubby's a pastor and you have the cops called on you.....Nice hun?!)
Officer: (he chuckled)
Me: Nothing like a pastor's wife having the cops called on her. I am sure this will make a great story Sunday. I am sure my husband will find some way to work this into his sermon from the pulpit.
Officer: Its okay, my sister says the same thing.
Me: (score his sister is a PW, the atmosphere for me at least became a whole lot more relaxing.) I am so sorry you had to come out for a silly call where the cleaning lady couldn't get the alarm off.
Officer: No biggy. (in the mean time the dispatch office radioed him and verified that I was suppose to be there.) Mrs. Henderson, I hope you have a great day.
Me: Thank you. Have a great day!
So what was a joke on Sunday became a reality on Monday. It was awful!!! I was so embarrassed. But I can now look back and laugh. And the Stewart's got a clean house with protection.
No comments:
Post a Comment